Anxiety Disorders – Westfield, NJ
Strive for a Calmer Life
Untreated anxiety can be a major obstacle to a happy and fulfilling existence. It can interfere with daily activities, have an impact on your relationships, and prevent you from reaching your potential. The good news is that treatments for anxiety disorders are available in our Westfield psychiatric office. To learn more about anxiety and how our team can help you strive for a calmer life, read this page. Then, get in touch with us to schedule your initial appointment.
Why Choose Embrace Psychiatric Wellness Center for Treatment for Anxiety Disorders?
- Board-Certified Psychiatrist
- Compassionate Team of Mental Health Professionals
- Effective Treatment Options
What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a sense of worry, nervousness, restlessness, or even fear. It affects people in different ways and can have a range of triggers. Virtually everyone experiences anxiety at some point in their life, whether it is due to a stressful family situation, a test, or other trying circumstances. Such anxiety is normal and usually not something to be concerned about.
However, when anxiety reaches the point where it consistently interferes with a person’s quality of life, it may be classified as a mental health disorder that requires treatment.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
There are several disorders that involve feeling of anxiety. Here are examples of some of the most common:
- Generalized anxiety disorder. This involves persistent worry and other symptoms that interfere with everyday activities.
- Panic disorder. An individual with panic disorder regularly suffers from panic attacks, which can be accompanied by severe physical symptoms. In some cases, victims have even confused a panic attack with a heart attack.
- Social anxiety disorder. People with this condition find it difficult to be around others due to a fear of embarrassment, rejection, or being looked down on.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). OCD leads to unreasonable thoughts and worries. Individuals with this condition often try to manage their feelings through various rituals.
- A phobia is an irrational and excessive fear of a specific activity, object, or situation.
Treatment Options for Anxiety Disorders
The best treatment for an anxiety disorder depends on the nature and severity of an individual’s condition. If you are struggling with anxiety, our team will perform a thorough mental health evaluation before we recommend your next steps. We might determine that you need:
- Often, speaking to a qualified mental health professional can help anxiety-ridden individuals to manage their feelings. Counselors and therapists are excellent at providing suggestions on coping mechanisms.
- There are a number of medications that have been shown to help individuals with anxiety disorders to remain calm and function better in their daily lives. For example, some antidepressants are often used as a treatment for anxiety.
- Lifestyle adjustments. Sticking to healthy habits, such as eating a nutritious diet and getting enough exercise, can often do much to alleviate anxiety.
Are you engaged in a battle against anxiety? You don’t have to go it alone. Dr. Bolona and the team at Embrace Psychiatric Wellness Center are ready to serve you.